Sistine Chapel 500 Years Old

It was on this date, 500 years ago, that Pope Julius II exhibited the freshly painted Sistine Chapel ceiling for the first time. I saw it a few weeks ago, the capstone on a high-speed three hour tramp through the art of the Vatican. It was, of course, breath-taking.

Despite multiple signs and warnings requesting people not to photograph the ceiling, multiple cameras glowed and flashed. Do people really think their personal photographs are going to come out sharper and better lit than the hundreds of representations on postcards, posters and t-shirts they could buy in the gift shop, or anywhere else in Rome?

Have you ever noticed that God is reaching out to Adam from inside a representation of the human brain?

7 Responses to “Sistine Chapel 500 Years Old”

1. Cecil Caulkins says:

I’ve never been there, and probably won’t get it done. But I’ve seen many pictures of the place, and the pictures are breathtaking. What an achievement! And, no, I’d never noticed the human brain representation. Pretty clever guy, that Michelangelo.

It’s amazing, no doubt. And in the interest of equal time–another version.

As always, you enhance the blog with your theological input, Les.

4. Noble Rot says:

Looks pretty good for half a millennium.

Last year I read a great book by historical author Ross King called Michelangelo and the Pope’s Ceiling.

It’s an amazing book that tells the story of Michelangelo’s opus and does a great job of bringing to life the social and political settings of the day. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

(Still have it on my bookshelf so let me know if you want to borrow it).

That’a a kind offer – but I read the book before going. Much less accurately, but also fun is “The Agony and the Ecstasy”, with Charlton Heston.

As always, you enhance the blog with your theological input, Les.

You know I love to share. When it doesn’t cost anything. And how can anything be wrong when heaven has a beer volcano?

7. craig says:

I was going to recommend the same book, but noble beat me to it. Very smart Dan, reading it before you went so you would know what to look for.