Best Tamales in Kansas City?

If you google – best tamales kansas city – this site shows up at the top of the page. Last week, 34 people conducted that search, and wound up visiting Gone Mild to research that vital topic. Unfortunately, I’m letting my visitors down, so I seek your help in updating my opinion. Where can you buy the best tamales in Kansas City?

The source of my traffic dates back a little more than two and a half years ago, when I brashly opined that the best tamales in the universe, not just Kansas City, were sold at Habanero’s on Troost. Sadly, Habanero’s on Troost is now long-closed, and my advice is no longer helpful.

Readers and gourmands, I seek your help. Where can one purchase the best tamales in Kansas City? (I realize that the BEST tamales are probably made by somebody’s mother or aunt, but please don’t frustrate me with tales of unattainable tamales . . .)

9 Responses to “Best Tamales in Kansas City?”

I’ve tried a few tamales and there is this company in Texas that ships out Tamales nation wide and i get them from there. The website is http://www.tamale.com. The carne guisada is really good too.

margaritas and Jalapenos are not owned by the same folks but it is understandable how you would think that. The owner of Jalapenos used to work for margaritas so alot of the same items on the menu

There is a Habenero's in Lee's Summit, Mo (Hwy 50 and 291) SE of Kansas City. We live in St. Louis now, but my husband says they have the best tamales, and he misses them!

4. JIm says:

I was trying to find the name of a Mexican grocer or butcher on Independence avenue where you can buy tamales. Bichelmeyer has some very good tamales, as does San Antonio in KCK (plus their carnitas are to die for!).

THANK YOU for the tips.

6. Vicki says:

I just asked a Mexican store that used to sell tamales where they would go next to buy tamales for themselves. They said, 3838 Independence Ave. I looked that address up and it’s:

Elvira’s Cakes
    (816) 231-3524
    East Kansas City
    3838 Independence Ave Map
    Kansas City, MO 64124

You are my hero! I drive by there pretty often – thank you for the tip!!!

8. Mike says:

I just went to Elvira’s and grabbed some tamales for lunch after seeing this website. They were really good! Thanks for the tip!

9. Stan says:

Try Miguels at 51st & Lamar, south up the hill past Qtrip off 435 & lamar on KS side